Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hurry up and wait!

I found this quote in my inbox today, and I just had to chuckle. It was so perfect...
"Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits."
– Thomas A. Edison
 I'm learning and understanding that it's the rule of the adoption experience... hurry up and wait!

I'm glad we lived overseas for 18 months and that was the rule of the way things were done there. Hurry up and wait. And I learned to get used to it, and not get into too much of tizzy. It didn't make anyone move any faster. If you asked when something would be done or delivered, the answer was almost always "After tomorrow." With the challenge of language translation, it was never clear if that was intended to be tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, or just some random day after tomorrow. Then there was the other answer, "Inshallah" which basically translates to "If God wills it." I never liked that answer because it usually meant they weren't making any promises.

So we are in a bit of a waiting mode now for others to finish their parts for our adoption paperwork. Once that's finished, I can send off the next stack of bureaucratic forms to our US Immigration Office and that will take some more waiting while they process that. In the waiting, I'm working on other documents that I can complete to get ready for the next "hurry up" step.
 
I'm glad for those experiences, because I can apply what I learned to this situation now. I just remind myself not to get into a tizzy, laugh when I can, keep praying, and know it's all going to work out. God has promised me that. I like His promises because I know I can count on Him to keep them.

I'll keep my sneakers on and hurry up while I wait!
 
TTFN,
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment